As the name indicates, waterproof zips that go through special treatment are mainly used to provide protection against the rain. They are mainly used in such products as cotton wadded jackets, ski suits, down jackets, diving suits, tents, raincoats, waterproof shoes, fire suits, luggage and bags, outdoor jackets, fishing wears, seamless products, etc.
The easiest way to discriminate between a waterproof zip and a common zip is by checking whether the fabric and teeth are covered. For waterproof zips, the film attached to the surface will cover the zip teeth and fabric, making them “invisible”.
Classification Of Waterproof Zips
Based on the coating materials and special treatment applied, waterproof zips can be categorized into:
- imported PU waterproof zips
- TPU waterproof zips
- PVC waterproof zips
- color film waterproof zips
- reflective film waterproof zips
- silver/gold film waterproof zips
- printing series waterproof zips
- coated waterproof zips
Based on the manufacturing materials, waterproof zips can be classified into:
- coil waterproof zips
- plastic waterproof zips
- metal waterproof zips
- invisible waterproof zips
Based on their functionality, waterproof zips can be grouped into:
- civil waterproof zips
- industrial waterproof zips
- watertight/airtight zips
TPU Waterproof Zips
TPU is an environmentally friendly high molecular polymer, which is regarded as a significant breakthrough in the application of waterproof and breathable fabrics. It is also referred to as the future material due to its excellent physical and chemical properties.
TPU waterproof zips gain more advantages in comparison with their PVC counterparts. They are not only waterproof but also breathable with good flexibility and resistance to low/high temperature [-40℃, 100℃].
PVC Waterproof Zips
PVC is mainly composed of polyvinyl chloride, with other components involved to ensure better heat resistance, toughness and ductility. The surface layer of PVC film is paint, while the middle layer is polyvinyl chloride and the bottom layer is coated with the adhesion agent on the back.
PVC can be divided into soft PVC and hard PVC.
As is indicated in the name, soft PVC contains softening agents, resulting in a limited range of applications due to such disadvantages as easy embrittlement and short-term storage time. It is mainly applied to the surface of floors, ceilings and leathers.
By comparison, hard PVC does not contain any softening agents and gains many outstanding advantages, including long-term storage time, good flexibility, easy molding with minimum embrittlement, poison and pollution.
The wide application of PVC can be mainly attributed to its unique rain-proof, fire-resistant, anti-static and easy to mold performances as well as the low investment with high production feature it enjoys. Its water-proof performance also accounts for its introduction into and wide application in the zip industry.
Coated Waterproof Zips
Coated waterproof zips are environmentally-friendly, soft and waterproof, featuring tolerance to low temperature (as low as minus 70℃). Additionally, the coating film won’t come off and the zips won’t blanch and get embrittled.
Tips For Purchasing Waterproof Zips
A lot of factors should be taken into consideration when you are purchasing waterproof zips, ranging from the application of these zips to the environmental protection.
- For heavy-duty tests that involve numerous pulling back and forth of the zips, you should select imported PU waterproof zips.
- For better resistance to low/high temperature, you should choose imported PU waterproof zips [-80℃, 200℃] or TPU waterproof zip [-40℃to-50℃, 100℃-180℃].
- For uniforms with safety signs, for example, the traffic police uniforms, you should choose reflective waterproof zips.
- For custom-made fabric patterns/logo printing, you should pick the printing series waterproof zips.
Imported PU waterproof zips are the most expensive, followed by TPU waterproof zips. PVC waterproof zips are the cheapest among the three types.
3. Waterproof Effect
The width of central seam is closely related to the performance of waterproof zips. Extremely wide central seam will exert a negative effect on the waterproof effect.
4. Waterproof Film
The film won’t come off or tear easily regardless of exposure to low temperature or repeated washing. A high-quality film also guarantees a longer service life.
5. Color Difference/Color Fastness
- Colored waterproof zips should feature minimum color difference. The color difference between the film and the zip tape should be controlled below 5%.
- If you would like to achieve color uniformity on the surface with no turbidity point, we would recommend color film waterproof zips.
- Apart from color difference, the color fastness of waterproof zips should also be taken into account when you are making a purchase.
The film surface should feel smooth and flat.
7. Degree of Smoothness
The more smooth, the better.
8. Environmental Protection
Waterproof zips should be environmentally friendly, passing the certification of OEKO-TEX100 standard.
Tips For The Proper Use Of Waterproof Zips
- Ironing: Avoid ironing as it may cause the waterproof film to peel off. Place a piece of cloth on the surface prior to ironing. The temperature for ironing should fall below 100 ℃.
- Washing: Close the zip prior to washing to provide protection against the waterproof film. Avoid washing in hot water and let the zips dry naturally.
- Dry Cleaning: The dry cleaning of waterproof zips may differ from that of the fabrics. Please read the washing instructions and double check with us.
- Installation: Chemical reactions can take place easily between the waterproof zips and the surface of PVC/PU films, which may leave stains on the fabrics, bright white fabrics in particular. Place a piece of cloth between the fabric and the waterproof zip prior to installation.
- Packing: Lay a piece of paper between the items to prevent the color of the zips from transferring to the fabrics in transportation.
SBS Zipper provides diversified and high-qualified waterproof zips, ranging from metal waterproof zips, plastic waterproof zips to coil waterproof zips. Some of the zips can only serve water-repellent purpose at the moment. Please double check with our sales persons before placing an order. Apart from fulfilling the functional/practical requirements of these zips, we have been dedicated to meeting the aesthetic requirements of various clients at the same time.
Watch this video to learn more: